All accepted applicants to any of Georgia's public colleges or universities for the Fall 2011 semester and each academic semester thereafter must provide verification of residency and lawful presence in both the State of Georgia and the United States.

As you complete your application file at the University of West Georgia, we need to share some important information with you regarding Board of Regents Policy 4.3.4.

United States citizens and permanent residents who seek to be classified as in-state for tuition paying purposes may verify their lawful presence in two different ways:

  1. Successfully submit a FAFSA.
  2. Submit a document from the list below. Please note, we will currently accept copies of all documents except the certified U.S. birth certificate. For instructions on ordering a certified U.S. birth certificate visit

You may send your document via the US postal service, email (to the email address below), fax the (678-839-4717), or bring them directly to us. The Office of Admissions is located at:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Murphy Building
Carrollton, GA 30118

Acceptable Documents

  • A current Driver’s License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008
  • A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008
  • A Certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. Copies can be submitted, but the original seal must be visible.
  • A current U.S. Passport
  • A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551)
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570)
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561)
  • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • A current military ID (for service member only, not dependent)

For students who have not provided one of the above documents and seek to be classified for in-state tuition, UWG is currently required to verify lawful presence with one of the following methods:

  • Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program if you do not have a current F or J visa
  • SEVIS for non-citizens possessing an F or J visa.

For questions regarding the verification process, please call (678) 839-5600 or email us at