The Academic Renewal Procedure allows students who are enrolled in a University System of Georgia (USG) institution to have a fresh start if they have had academic difficulties in the past. Additional information can be found in the University System of Georgia Handbook.
Requirements for Eligibility
- Current or former students must apply for Academic Renewal by contacting the Momentum Center. New students must contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Students must apply for Academic Renewal, if they choose this option, by the end of their third semester of enrollment or by the end of one calendar year from enrollment or re-enrollment, whichever comes first.
- Academic Renewal may be granted only once by a USG college or university.
- Students must have experienced their academic difficulties at the University of West Georgia or be a transfer student from a regionally accredited institution of higher education to be eligible for Academic Renewal.
About the Procedure
- All previously attempted coursework continues to be recorded on the student’s official transcript.
- An Academic Renewal Grade Point Average begins when the student resumes taking coursework following the three-year period of absence once Academic Renewal has been granted. The institution will place a statement on the student’s transcript indicating the Academic Renewal status and the beginning of a separate Academic Renewal GPA in addition to an overall UWG GPA.
- The Academic Renewal GPA will be used for determining academic standing and eligibility for graduation. At least 50% (60 hours) of course work must be completed after the granting of academic renewal for a student to be eligible for graduation with honors.
- Academic credit for completed coursework during the period of absence - including transfer coursework - will be retained only for courses in which an ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, or ‘S’ grade was earned. Retained grades are not calculated in the Academic Renewal GPA, but are counted in Academic Renewal hours earned.
- To earn a degree, a student must meet the University of West Georgia’s residency requirements. UWG will apply the retained hours earned prior to Academic Renewal toward the residency requirement.
- A student can be granted Academic Renewal status only once.
- Any previous notation of academic probation, suspension, and dismissal will remain recorded on the student’s transcript.
- A student re-enrolling after an absence of three or more years must apply for Academic Renewal within three semesters of enrollment or within one calendar year, whichever comes first.
- The Academic Renewal GPA begins with the first term following awarding of renewal.
- Admission or re-entry into any specific degree program (such as teacher education, nursing, business majors, selected majors in the College of Arts and Humanities, College of Science and Math, or College of Social Sciences) is not automatic. Admission criteria for specific programs are determined by the department where the program is housed.
- The granting of Academic Renewal does not supersede financial aid policies regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- United States and Georgia history and constitution requirements and Regents’ Test scores met prior to the granting of academic renewal will remain on the student’s transcript even though the courses may not count in the Academic Renewal GPA or Academic Renewal hours earned.
- Students desiring to enroll must submit a letter explaining why they should be considered for Academic Renewal along with the Academic Renewal application.
- Readmitted students must be absent from The University of West Georgia for three (3) years, the required period of absence.
- The period of absence is calculated based on the period of time between the date of last enrollment at The University of West Georgia and the date of return to The University of West Georgia.
- Only coursework completed prior to the period of absence may be considered for Academic Renewal. If Academic Renewal is granted, all coursework completed prior to the period of absence will be renewed.
- Students may attend other institutions during the period of absence; however, that coursework will not be eligible for Academic Renewal and will be used to determine admissibility to The University of West Georgia. Transfer credit for any coursework taken during the period of absence shall be granted in accordance with the prevailing USG and West Georgia policies and procedures regarding the awarding of transfer credit.
Students who previously attended a USG institution or any regionally-accredited institution of higher education and transfer to The University of West Georgia may be eligible for Academic Renewal for coursework taken three (3) or more years prior to the term of enrollment at The University of West Georgia.
View the Academic Renewal application here. This form is a fillable PDF that can be completed electronically. It can also be printed out if you prefer to submit the application in person.