Undergraduate students may withdraw from courses with a grade of “W” (Withdraw Passing) a maximum of six times during their entire undergraduate enrollment at the University of West Georgia. Students must withdraw from courses during the Withdrawal “W” Period, as noted on the Registrar’s Calendar in The Scoop. Retroactive withdrawals for prior terms are not permitted. The Withdrawal “W” Period typically begins after Drop/Add and closes at mid-term. Grades of “W” do not count toward the grade point average.

It is recommended that students consult with the instructor, academic advisor, Financial Aid, Office of Student Accounts and Billing Services, and International Services and Programs (if applicable) before making the decision to withdraw from a course, since undesirable consequences may follow. For example:

  • Students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to maintain eligibility for both federal and state financial aid. See the UWG Financial Aid website for more details.
  • Student athletes must maintain full-time status to retain athletic eligibility.
  • International students on an F1 or J1 visa must maintain full-time status to protect their immigration status.
  • Withdrawing from a course will delay progress toward graduation.

Students who attempt to withdraw from a course after reaching their maximum of six withdrawals will continue to be enrolled and will receive a grade at the end of the term, unless the Dean (or Dean’s designee) approves the exception. See Petition for Exceptions below.

Automatic Exceptions

The following exceptions do not count toward the maximum of six course withdrawals:

  • Grades of W placed on the transcript prior to Fall 2013
  • Grades of W included in transfer work
  • Withdrawals from courses taken during Summer terms
  • Hardship withdrawal
  • Military withdrawal
  • Administrative withdrawal
  • Formal withdrawal from the university
  • COVID-19 Exclusions: Spring 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021 grades of W

Petition for Exceptions

After the limit of six withdrawals is reached, students are permitted to request exceptions only for circumstances beyond their control. Students appeal in writing to the Dean (or Dean’s designee) of the college or school that houses their major. Undeclared students should appeal in writing to the Dean of the Honors College (or Dean’s designee). The written request (typewritten) should include the following: (1) description of the exact nature of the appeal, (2) reason for the appeal, and (3) supporting documentation, if applicable. Appeals are not heard unless the student has reached the maximum number of withdrawals allowed.