Social Media & Networking Tips
|Social Media Do's||Social Media Don'ts|
|Add a professional photo||Swear, use all caps, or spam|
|Check your privacy settings||Complain about job search or employers|
|Use to find and apply to jobs||Post with spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors|
|Brand yourself to increase visibility||Overshare|
|Google yourself and see what shows up||Have an embarrassing or inappropriate handle or name|
|Create and maintain a LinkedIn account|
Social Media Do's: Add a professional photo
Social Media Don'ts: Swear, use all caps, or spam
Social Media Do's: Check your privacy settings
Social Media Don'ts: Complain about job search or employers
Social Media Do's: Use to find and apply to jobs
Social Media Don'ts: Post with spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors
Social Media Do's: Brand yourself to increase visibility
Social Media Don'ts: Overshare
Social Media Do's: Google yourself and see what shows up
Social Media Don'ts: Have an embarrassing or inappropriate handle or name
Social Media Do's: Create and maintain a LinkedIn account
Social Media Don'ts:
- At networking events, always try to arrive 15 minutes early.
- Prepare and practice your elevator pitch.
- Classmates, family, co-workers, employers, and anyone else could be part of your professional network!
- Small talk can include weather, food, or something pertaining to everyone. If you've met them before, you can follow up on the prior conversation.
- To ensure you remember a possible contact, write about the conversation you shared, along with the date, and place where you met on the back of their business card.
- Remember to contact your new networking contacts to reconnect and build the relationship.
- Dress appropriately. Check out Wolfie's Wardrobe in Career Services if you need professional clothes!
- Shake hands firmly. Smile. Make eye contact.
Not sure where to start? Check out the suggested professional organizations below!