What is Prior Learning?

Prior learning is learning gained through life or work outside of structured higher educational courses. Many people learn through their experiences in life such as those in professional endeavors such as through business, the military, or other work/training experiences or through other educational experiences like community work, family, travel, or personal study.

Veteran and Military Programs Office created a handbook designed to provide students with information needed when seeking credit for prior learning related to specific courses at the University of West Georgia. Download the UWG Student Handbook for PLA here.


  • Students can earn credit by taking a Department Challenge Exam or by taking the CLEP Test.
  • Students can take CLEP exams through Academic Testing Services.  More information can be found on the Academic Testing Services website
  • Students may be able to take a free CLEP exam.  More information can be found on the Modern States website.  

More information can be found on the Registrar's Office website.


Students, who have served in a branch of the military, may be eligible to receive college credit for their experience. Students must submit an official military transcript to request their record be evaluated for possible college credit (see Military Transcript Request Information below).

Military credit is awarded based upon the American Council on Education Guide for Military Credit recommendations. Credits are generally elective credits that may be used in the degree and major program and will be listed with a grade of ‘S’ on the student’s transcript. A maximum of 30 semester hours may be awarded. No credit is awarded for Basic Training; however, students with 2 or more years Active Duty Military Services may waive their physical education activity requirement by submitting a copy of their DD214.

Students should send their official Military Transcript to:

Registrar’s Office
UWG-Parker Hall
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton, GA 30118                                                                                                        

For questions concerning the awarding of military credit please contact us at transfer@westga.edu.

To view previously evaluated Military Transfer Credit, view the Transfer Equivalency Tool.  Select Military as the state and then clock 'Get State' and 'Get School' before clicking 'I understand'.


Exams available to adult learners, military, college and high school students who seek to receive credit for college courses from outside of the traditional classroom.  

Faculty of the University of West Georgia has begun reviewing DSSTs as of Fall 2019 to consider which DSST exams will to accepted for credit.  

For more information, please visit the Registrar's Office website.  


  • Students may be eligible to earn credit for learning experiences by completing a Portfolio.
  • Students may use the GAtracs Transfer Tool to get an idea of transferable credits.  

More information can be found on UWG Online's website.