Out of State Waivers
What is a tuition waiver?
It's like a scholarship. U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents permanently in Georgia pay "in-state tuition" which is considerably less than "out-of-state tuition" paid by those from outside Georgia. The maximum waiver allows international students to pay "in-state tuition." See the value example below.
- International Graduate Student Waivers: administered by the Graduate School.
- Domestic Student Waivers: administered by UWG Admissions.
- Exchange Visitor Waivers (J1 Student): administered by the office of Education Abroad.
- Partner University Waivers: administered separately by ISAP. See the end of this page for more information.
Amounts based on 1 semester enrolment of 12 credit hours.
- Regular Georgia In-State (Resident) Tuition: $2185
- Regular International Student Tuition: $7712
- Value of a 100% Out-of-State Tuition Waiver for 1 semester: $5527
- Value of a 50% Out-of-State Tuition Waiver for 1 semester: $2763
- Value of a 25% Out-of-State Tuition Waiver for 1 semester: $1382
Waivers are competitive and limited in supply. Waivers that are not awarded upon initial application to UWG require a separate application after satisfactory academic performance on campus. Awardees are also expected to fully contribute to student life and leadership opportunities at UWG.
- Only students in active F1 status are eligible.
- All international students are classified as non-residents, regardless of residency time in Georgia, or ownership of property or a business in Georgia.
- Failure to maintain academic requirements based on end of term institutional GPA will result in waiver probation the following semester.
- If the GPA doesn't meet eligibility requirements at the end of the probation semester, the student will not be eligible for a waiver the following semester.
- The institutional GPA, not transfer GPA, is the basis for all waiver considerations.
- Waivers are awarded annually and renewable prior to each Fall if a new waiver application is submitted.
Waiver Renewal Priority
- 1st Priority: Continuing students with a current waiver.
- 2nd Priority: New students
- 3rd Priority: Continuing students without a waiver who become waiver-eligible upon strong academic performance at UWG.
Waiver Amounts & Criteria
EBRW = Evidence Based Reading & Writing combined score on the Revised SAT (RSAT).
100% Presidential Out of State Waiver
- RSAT: EBRW - 600, Math - 570
- ACT: English - 24, Math -24
Minimum GPA to Maintain Waiver: 3.25
50% Scholastic Out of State Waiver
- RSAT: EBRW - 540, Math – 530
- ACT: English - 20, Math - 20
Minimum GPA to Maintain Waiver: 3.00.
25% Academic Out of State Waiver
- RSAT: EBRW - 480, Math - 450
- ACT: English - 17, Math - 17
Minimum GPA to Maintain Waiver 2.8
Apply for the Waiver
- Fill out and submit the International Student Out-of-State Tuition Waiver Application.
- Attach a copy of your current resume.
- Attach a personal statement describing the merits of your application and how the award would benefit you and your plans at UWG. The statement should be thoughtfully and well-written, 1-page, and double-spaced. You should also provide documentation of any claims you make in the statement regarding personal hardships or circumstances. Statements requesting initial or renewal waivers that are short, brief, paragraph length or missing will not be approved.
Apply for the Graduate Waiver
- Fill out and submit the Graduate International Student Out of State Tuition Waiver Request
- Qualifying nominees must have a strong academic record, must be degree-seeking, and must maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher (based on a 4.0 scale) on all graduate work.
Transfer students from partner universities (Reformed University and ZUEL) will receive a 50% out-of-state tuition waiver upon admission to UWG. No reapplication is needed to continue to receive the waiver each term enrolled so long as a 2.5 GPA requirement is maintained. If your GPA falls below this standard, your waiver will not be provided until the 2.5 GPA minimum is met again.