Obtaining a Visa
Step #3: Obtaining a VISA
- Use your I-20 to apply for the F-1 Student Visa (International Student in a Degree Program at UWG).
- Use your DS-20 to apply for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa (International Student exchange at UWG).
Pay SEVIS I-901 Fee
- As soon as ISAP creates your I-20 or DS-2019, we'll email the SEVIS # printed on your form. Please be aware we cannot email the I-20 or DS-2019 form. We can only ship the original paper version.
- Use your SEVIS # to pay the SEVIS fee at the FMJfee website.
- Note UWG's SEVIS Campus Code: ATL214F00247000
- After paying, you can print your payment receipt, called form I-797C.
Complete Visa Application
- The Non-immigrant visa application is called form DS-160.
- DS-160 Visa Application & Instructions: U.S. Department of State Online Non-Immigrant VISA Application webpage
Schedule & Prepare for your Visa Interview
- Locate the U.S. embassy or consulate nearest you. Here is a list of Embassies and Consulates in the United States.
- Each location has a webpage where you can schedule your visa interview.
- Wait times vary by location, season, and visa category, so apply as soon as possible.
- Prepare the Following Documents
- A valid passport
- Your Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 with receipt for fee payment
- Your form I-20 or DS-2019
- Passport Photo
- Admission Letter to UWG & Proof of Financial Support
- Recommended but optional: academic transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates; test scores such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, or GMAT may also be requested
- Strongly Recommended: documentation of non-immigrant intent / strong ties to home country and evidence of your intention to not immigrate to the U.S.
Attend Your Interview
- Your brief F-1 visa interview at a consular window will determine whether you are approved for a student visa. The decision is made by the consular officer at the window.
- Here is a list of helpful questions you might expect during your interview.
- If approved, your visa will be attached to the inside of your passport similar to this image.
What's next after obtaining your VISA?