Residency Requirements are for Academic Year 2020 - 2021.
First-Time in College Student Housing Requirement
All First-Time in College Students are required to live on campus until completion of two (2) semesters of residency (Fall/Spring or Spring/Fall) and participate in a freshman meal plan both semesters unless they are eligible for a Residency Requirement Waiver.
First-Time in College Students have not yet earned 30-semester credit- hours from the University of West Georgia nor the equivalent in transferable hours from a different accredited post-secondary school.
Waivers for the Residency Requirement may be pursued through the formal Residency Requirement Waiver; found here. Once you are logged in, you can click Residency Waiver 2020-2021 at the top of the page to access the waiver request form.
The Department of Housing and Residence Life, (HRL) will process waiver requests in the order received. Waiver requests for Spring 21 semester are currently being accepted. Waiver request processing for Spring 21 is anticipated to begin November 15, 2020. Please allow a minimum of two (2) additional weeks for processing. Students will be notified via UWG student email as to the outcome of their Waiver request. Students may also refer to the Residency Waiver portion of the Housing Portal to check for status updates.
Students will be held accountable for the accuracy of all information provided to the University. Students are expected to update HRL with any changes in status. All approved Residency Requirement Waivers are in effect for only one (1) semester and will be checked during that semester for changes in status.
Submission of a request for a Residency Requirement Waiver does NOT void or cancel the residency requirement; you must receive an approved Residency Requirement Waiver to void the Residency Requirement Policy. Approval of a Residency Requirement Waiver does not cancel or void a completed housing contract.
Qualifications for Exemption Include:
- Live at home with a legal parent/guardian within an approved zip code
- Your legal parent/guardian's address must be the same as your official address on file with the University and the address on your valid, government-issued ID. Please upload images of both the student's and the parent's ID.
- 21 years of age – Must attach a copy of your government-issued ID with Date of Birth.
- Married/have child(ren) – Must upload a certified copy of marriage license or birth certificate must be presented for students under 21 with child(ren) in which you are the primary caregiver.
- Graduated High School more than 12 months ago from the time of enrollment date.
- Attended two (2) semesters at another institution post-high school graduation - Official transcript required upon submission.
Zip Codes Eligible for Exemption
If you live with your parent or guardian in a zip code on the list below, you may apply for a waiver releasing you from the university’s first-year residency requirement IF you will be living at home with a legal parent/guardian during your first year of college. Your parent/guardian's address must be the same as your official address on file with the university and/or the address on your valid, government-issued ID. The waiver form must be completed and signed by the student and parent/guardian with a copy of both government-issued IDs attached.