Need help?

Review the forms below, and if you aren't able to find what you need, contact us.

Room/Building Maintenance Requests

Use this form to submit general maintenance requests such as lights that are out, clogged sinks, stuck windows, etc. This form goes to the work information center and is reported to the Department of Facilities and Grounds who will send someone to resolve the issue.

Please note: You cannot submit pesticide requests using this form. You must obtain the request slip from your RA or RLC/RD.

Phone and Cable Issues

This form is used to submit issues regarding telephone or cable connection problems. This form goes to the ITS Helpdesk and they will contact you to help resolve the issue.

Please note: This form is NOT to be used to submit computer-specific, Internet, or WebCT issues. You must call Student Information Technology Services (SITS) directly at 9-6587 for computer and Internet issues, or Distance and Distributed Education (DDEC) directly at 9-6248 for WebCT issues.

Laundry Maintenance Issues

This form is used to submit maintenance issues specific to with the laundry machines, such as a dryer not heating, washer locking up, etc. This form is submitted to the Office of Auxiliary Services. After reviewing your issue, they will contact you if they need more information, or provide you with information about obtaining a refund.