Mission StatementUniversity College
The University College will continue to offer the high-impact practices of advising, tutoring, and first year seminars to increase student success.
We will also continue to serve as an incubator for innovative and interdisciplinary academic programming, whether via new programs, minors, degrees, pathways, or schools. In addition, the College will work to increase retention of first- and second-year students via innovative, faculty-led academic initiatives. Finally, UC will be leading and partnering with units across campus on revisions to our core curriculum, which are linked to the USG Core Revisions.
This mission will evolve over the course of the year as the leaders of the various units in University College seek out feedback from colleagues across campus. However, the mission will naturally follow the vision of the faculty and staff within this college, the academic practitioners in units ranging from the Advising Center to the new Center for Civic Engagement to the faculty of First-Year Mathematics. Our hopes at this early phase include the following goals:
- To build a culture and workplace that encourages diversity in thinking and people, one that supports innovation, risk-taking, honest and open critique, and valuing staff and faculty in our academic endeavors;
- To engage actively with Student Affairs and Enrollment Management as we seek to recruit, retain, support, and educate students throughout their time on campus;
- To create an adaptive and integrative core curriculum that explicitly offers students a toolkit of skills which will serve them in their careers;
- To use and share data openly and honestly in order to assess and improve academic programming at all levels; and
- To create and nurture equity mindedness in our work.