Internship positions provide a one-time (usually one semester) opportunity for students to utilize their academic training in a professional setting. Internships may be:
• salaried, volunteer, or stipend-paid
• academic credit or academic recognition (non-credit)
• part time or full time
• one semester (usually), sometimes two, and students may participate in more than one Internship during the time they are enrolled at UWG.
Students must possess a 2.0 minimum GPA requirement and be classified as a Sophomore prior to interning. Each department determines how much credit students may receive and what type of grade will be issued.
Cooperative Education requires two or more semesters in a professional setting and are:
• always salaried
• Non-credit (unless arrangements are made with your academic department)
• require a minimum of 2.5/4.0 overall GPA for undergraduates and a 3.0/4.0 overall GPA for graduate students
• the completion of 30 hours for undergraduates and 10 hours for graduates
• Parallel (part time) or Alternating(work every other semester)
Normally a student remains with the same employer throughout the assignment and completes a sequence of progressively more responsible positions or assignments. The employer may establish higher GPA standards and requirements for the completion of specific course work prior to the Cooperative assignment.
Professional Practice Office - In addition to reviewing job lists with students:
• will do specific job searches for students
• will help with résumé preparation and printing
• will show students how to network for current and future jobs
• will help students prepare for interviews
Note: Transfer students should complete one semester at the University of West Georgia prior to being placed into the program.
The Professional Practice Program is coordinated by Vicki Hardin, Room 359B, Parker Hall. Visit or call (678) 839-6630 to make an appointment. See checklist for list of procedures.